Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Who doesn't like presents?

When Ian and I first got engaged we were at odds about the wedding gift's to each other, thing. I told him that it was silly and we didn't need to spend the extra money and he wanted a present. Don't get me wrong, I love presents but I thought we are spending all this money on the wedding for us, the honeymoon for us and it's not like there is going to be a shortage of presents, but Ian was sticking to his guns and was pushing for wedding presents.

Something you need to know about Ian though is that buying him presents is never a simple prospect, he has very specific taste (by specific I mean expensive) and has a hard time pretending to like something that he doesn't. Something I have witnessed (and been on the receiving end of) many times. It has taken 7 years but I have finally figured out present buying for Ian, but I didn't want to put on MORE money on the wedding when we buy each other presents for so many other occasions.

*I am fully aware I sound like a bah-hum-bug cow, bare with me it's gets better I promise

Months pass and Ian does not let up on the wedding present issue and finally it comes to pass why. He has found a briefcase that he has fallen in love with - I think he actually loves this briefcase more than me. The problem is we can not afford for him to get it because we are broke and it is going to cost, well lets just say it was more than we could pay. Finally I understood why Ian was so set on the present thing. He was hoping to get this briefcase for a wedding present. This still didn't change anything because we still couldn't afford to pay for it.

Knowing why Ian was so set on the wedding present issue I started to think about ways that I could make it happen. I went through our rather pathetic budget about 15 million times but came up short every time. I found this particularly frustrating because every time I walked in to Ian's office he was looking at pictures, videos or anything related to these bags. It was starting to make me rather sad.

Finally I conceded and decided that Visa was a girls best friend and that I'd just add it to the mounting debt. That was all well and good until Ian decided he was going to work a job on the mainland in order to earn the money for the bag. DOH, that darn determined nature of his was getting in the way!
It's actually one of the things I love about him the most but shhhh

So it came down to a conversation in the kitchen in which I begged him one last time to wait until after the wedding and he said he couldn't. So I told him my little secret.

He was like a kid on Christmas morning. He even posted that I was the "Best Wife to be Ever" on facebook. It made me feel pretty good and it was later determined that this worked better than trying to give presents the day of because it's going to be so hectic anyway.








Happy Wedding Honey! I Love You!

He looks really mad here - trust me he wasn't mad :)

No comments:

Post a Comment