Sunday, March 9, 2014

Progress Not Perfection

The past few days have not been the easiest in my life.  I've been faced with some serious demons and my self esteem has taken a serious hit.  I went shopping for work clothes and with my ever expanding hips and thighs I am now a size 6 top and a size 12 pants.  I have officially moved into "pear" shape.  I don't want to look like pear.  Once upon a time I have the sought after hourglass figure that I was quite proud of, and I want it back.  

I spent the evening a few days ago doing some reading on weight loss blogs and weight loss tactics and weight loss apps and weight loss programs.  Do you see a trend here?  I read this one blog, Prior Fat Girl, I'm not a fan of the name but she is a no-nonsense kind of person which I am a fan of.  

She posted these two quotes from Skinny Bitch

“Stop being a moron and start getting skinny! If you can’t take one more day of self-loathing, your ready to hear the truth: You cannot keep shoveling the same crap into your mouth every day and expect to loose weight.”
“Junk food will never go away. It becomes more alluring by the minute with laboratory-developed aromas, artificial flavors, chemical food colors, toxic preservatives, and heart-stopping hydrogenated oils. We know these are impossible to resit, but no one ever got skinny on junk food. Use your head. Candy bars, potato chips and ice cream taste like heaven, of course. But they will pitch a tent on your hips and camp out all year long.”
Again I'm not a big fan of the word skinny, because I don't want to be "skinny" but... the message is clear.  If you don't like something?  Change it!  So I did everything I could at that very moment in time.  I opened my first My Fitness Pal account.  Downloaded the app and started learning how to use it.  That was 4 days ago.  So far, I've been using it fairly well.  I'm sure that I am not perfectly accurate with the calorie counts of my home-made stuff but I'm doing the best that I can.  So far I have been "under-budget" on my calories 2 days in a row (an on track to be under budget for a 3rd).  This fits nicely in with my whole, lose weight slowly, baby steps thing, so I am pleased.  
 I am also learning to be much more kind to myself.  Yesterday I was only under budget by 24 calories, but it was also date night and Ian and I went to the movies and I wanted popcorn.  Instead of sharing the large popcorn and getting a big bag of candy, we got a large popcorn and I asked for a small bag and then filled it up and when it was empty... stopped.  Ian ate the rest.  That's okay.  Every day won't be perfect.  
The insulting thing though was today has been the first nice day in weeks and I was really excited to go for a walk with the hubby and then after a morning doing research on the computer I threw my back out... getting off the damn couch.  This is insulting.  I blame the weeks of doing nothing but studying.  Not good for my already sketchy back.  At least I have appointments with my "body-fixers" tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment