Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Venus, Caterers and Dates

Ian and I originally wanted to get married on July 9, 2011. There were a number of reasons for this - we wanted to do it post graduation for me, but didn't want to wait until the fall of 2011. Ian might go to school or we may take off and travel. So the summer of 2011 seemed to fit the bill nicely. We understood that prices would be higher but... oh well.

The other thing we had to take into account is softball season. I knew that there would be a couple of very important tournaments at the end of July so being me, I didn't want to miss those (yes even for my wedding). So we thought July 9 would be perfect.

So as I have mentioned before we have had a very difficult time finding just the right venue. But recently we found the Serbian Cultural Center (thanks to my wonderful friend Fi... Thanks Fi!!!!) and fell in love with it's beauty and open airy feel. We did a bit of fudging and eyelash batting at those funding our wedding and sorted out a way that we could make it work. Cue the next hiccup - they were booked on the 9th. This was the moment that Ian and I were very glad that nothing else was booked because it was very easy to say - no problem the 16th works great.

So this past weekend I went to the Serbian to sign the contract and hand over the cheque. It was slightly nerve racking to pay that much money at once but also very exciting to have something booked! So for those keeping track - July 16 will be the wedding day!

Next step is the caterer. I found a guy that came recommended for those who are food intolerant like Ian and I are. The first quote that came back was... 2x our budget. Oh dear... this isn't looking good. So Ian and sent back with a few changes and the one that came back again was still over our budget... hmmm. So we've done a bit of finagling and Ian plans on doing some negotiating (which he is fantastic at) and hopefully we can fit the food budget into the main budget. We'll keep you updated, think affordable thoughts for us!!!

2 comments:

  1. ...I dont know what to say except, allergies are expensive :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah! for a date! Now I can mark the calendar!

    ReplyDelete