Wednesday, March 30, 2011

mmmm cake

There are four facts that you need to know:

1. I like cake. A lot.

2. I am allergic to wheat. A couple of years ago completely by accident I discovered this fact. I could go into the details but it's a fairly long, boring and irrelevant story so I will spare you the details of how I came to that conclusion.

3. Ian is allergic to wheat and a myriad of other things. This is another long and slightly more relevant but equally boring story so, again I will spare you the details.

4. Ian likes cake. A lot.

Keeping these things in mind think about one very important feature of a wedding. The Cake.

When Ian and I first go engaged we established one fact - that we wanted a wedding cake that not only looked pretty but that we could eat as well.

So with these facts in mind think about the how difficult it would be to find a wedding cake that we could eat. The first challenge was a recipe that we could eat - that was Janice's arena and she managed to come up with a recipe that Ian can eat that tastes pretty darn good (and it's actually really easy to make too). But since she is here we can't get her to make it for the day of so the next step was finding someone on the mainland who could make our recipe and make the cake look great.

We hunted and hunted but many bakeries were not set up to do gluten free, we did find one but the decorating that she did was really, sloppy. It may have been one of my more "bridezilla" moments but Ian did agree with me. Finally about a month ago we found someone who was willing to work with us and could do the cake. She was a "cake designer" and it was going to cost a fortune but we needed a cake. It seems that these days our solution to every problem is "throw money at it"

We were going back and forth with the baker hashing out a design and a plan and then suddenly Ian gets an email that she took another wedding that day and we were "bumped". *&@#$

So we are less than 4 months away and still don't have a cake, how does everyone feel about wedding flan?

2 comments:

  1. Deep Breathing darling.... I have a friend in Cloverdale-ish (not too far from Ians folks house) she does cakes I will fb msg you her number...if you want. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I can ask the girl who made my cake if she's available if you want... otherwise I'm down with flan... just not Jell-o.
    Lets just have ice cream... lots and lots of ice cream!

    ReplyDelete