Thursday, May 13, 2010

Gift Registry (Part One of... ?)

When I attended the bridal show in April I got some information regarding registries for a couple of different places. Ian had his own ideas about registries (mostly that amazon was the way to go) but I quickly convinced him that maybe we should go in person and register for things that would touch and feel rather then pictures.

Our apartment is kind of a mish-mash of my stuff and a few little pieces of our stuff, Ian didn't have much stuff when we moved in together. We have some good quality stuff but not a lot and the rest of it is just... first time apartment type stuff that is mis-matched or cheap or both.

So I want to get a few things that are a little nicer, a little match-ier and maybe a few things that reflected my tastes now as opposed to my tastes when 5 years ago. I also want to start my collection of china and crystal because while we have no use for it now I feel that down the road it will be nice to have. Ian wasn't sold on many of these things initially but he's coming around to my way of thinking.

For me it wasn't a question of what I wanted so much as it was a question of where to find it. I googled around and was astounded at the shear number of stores that offered wedding registries. Since Ian and I wanted a fairly traditional registry we have decided to go with one of the more traditional stores. So tonight was a store under The Bay's umbrella Home Outfitters. We walked in were greeted with by a lovely lady who rambled on about the benefits of registering. I felt like saying, "you don't need to sell us, we're already here!" Oh well... after she finally stopped talking and after a brief how-to we were set free to start scanning. There were a few disagreements but for the most part Ian and I were on the same page. (Yay!) I am particularly excited about the prospect of bamboo sheets and towels, which are very reasonably priced for bamboo for anyone who feels like giving us gifts...? Just kidding :)

A few other little perks that came along with registering with them are a $25.00 gift card to blow on something fun, 10% on all our registry items up to 1 year post wedding (ones that weren't purchased), a nice set of 2 champagne flutes and a Companies Coming book.

I have an appointment with Sears on Sunday and I will make an appointment with The Bay next week and we will decide after the consultations if we are keeping all of them or just one or two. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. At the bay you get the best sale price of the last year on any items not purchased for a whole year after your wedding day... so register for anything and everything you need at the bay. Even after your wedding you can add anything and buy it on sale... like shoes :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call man! I found these shoes there that made my heart go pitter-patter, but they are pricey.

    ReplyDelete