Sunday, October 17, 2010

Birthday Fun

This past weekend I was home to celebrate my birthday, even though it is a week early. We did it this weekend because as I've mentioned before next weekend (my actual birthday) I will be at a very good friend of mine's wedding. YAY!

The plan was to have a combo birthday/thanksgiving dinner with my family on Saturday and then brunch with Ian's family on Sunday before heading home. I've been excited about this weekend home for a while because I hadn't seen my family in nearly a month and I missed them a lot! Not to mention it was the weekend where birthday presents were being given and lets face it, presents are fun!

Now since finances are tight with Ian and I, I had given him a VERY modest budget for my birthday present. I was hoping he'd stick to it. He didn't. After I picked him up for Saturday's dinner he asked it if was ok if I got my present from him on Sunday. I was a little confused but not really fussed so I let it go.

After my sister and her family arrived I was playing with my super SUPER cute baby niece when Ian suggested we get a picture together. Expecting his usual GIANT lens I looked up and saw this cute little blue camera and wondered who it belonged to. He took the picture and said, "There, your first picture on your new camera!" What a sticker! But I was so touched that I didn't care that he was a big liar.



So after a YUMMY dinner of turkey and "jen friendly" (wheat free) stuffing and jen friendly tarts and cupcakes for desert it was time for the rest of my presents.

A lack of communication between Ian and my parents resulted in a second digital camera (whoops) but my wonderfully organized parents had a receipt so I was able to return one that hadn't already been used. I got a few books off my HUGE to be read list and a new game for Ian and I to concure on the Wii from my parents and brother. My very talented sister hand knitted me some fantastic dish clothes and to go with it... my very first gift off our wedding registry!!!!



I'm so excited to cook wonderful roasts and maybe the odd turkey dinner in my new roasting pan! (thank's big sis and family!)

The next day I was greeted with a fantastic venison stew at Ian's parents house for brunch, with Jen and Ian friendly brownies for desert. Added cool thing: the candles for my birthday had coloured flames to match the colours on the candles - VERY cool!

The next thing I know there is a big purple box in front of me with a birthday card on top of it. I've got the best in-laws to be. After a failed attempt to open the present without ripping the paper (it was so pretty), I saw a Mikasa box. Completely forgetting what I had wanted from Mikasa I opened to box to find my first place setting from my china pattern!!! It's so exciting that I'm starting to collect these things!!! We opened up the box and ooh'd and ahhh'd over how nice the dishes were and I was excited that I loved the pattern just as much as when I'd registered for it. (PS: I don't remember if I've said this or not but I changed my mind yet again with the china pattern - I'm onto, and now I'm happily committed to, Cocoa Blossom by Mikasa)


1 comment:

  1. The best thing about a wedding registry is that now everybody knows EXACTLY what you want/need and you only get good presents from now, upto, and after the wedding. We still get the odd thing from ours from Geoff's parents/siblings. It RULES!!
    PS Happy (early) Birthday!

    ReplyDelete