Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Honeymoon Nest Egg

I know it's tacky (supposedly) to talk about money but I'm rather proud of my idea and mom style "pulling a rabbit from a hat" that I don't care. So if you don't want to hear about my financial situation I suggest that you stop reading.

Last year when we moved I decided it was time to invest in a decent bed. I have always known that a good bed will help your sleep exponentially and the one we were sleeping on was like cement. So after months of convincing Ian conceded and we made a trip to Sleep Country during their mix and match sale. We bought a great bed that I now LOVE. We decided that since we didn't have the cash up front to do the 6 month payment plan.

Last month was our sixth month and now the bed is officially ours (and I no longer have to pay citifinancial money which is a small victory all on its own). So we each had a little extra money in our budgets.

Fast-forward to Ian proposing and us talking about the wedding. We have very generous parents who are helping us pay for the wedding but we aren't able to factor the price of a honeymoon into the wedding budget. So Ian and I were honeymoonless and didn't really know what to do about it. Our best plan was hope someone took pity on us... not really a plan.

Then last night I remembered that extra money sitting in my budget from the bed and did a little bit of re-working of some of the other variable expenses. I realized if we start saving now and put aside a little money each month by the time we get married we will have enough money saved to go on a rather fantastic honeymoon! YAY! Now all that's left is to decide where you go.

Any suggestions? We are looking at a budget of about $1200 per person and I would really like to do all inclusive but I don't have Ian's input yet.

2 comments:

  1. Backpacking in Europe, with a few luxury stops on the way.
    Cinqe Terre (Italy)
    Dominican Republic
    Berlin at Christmas
    Greek Islands (cruising between them and singing Mamma Mia)
    ......... more ideas to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, talk to Ian about what our cousin Jared did for his wedding registry.
    Also, another friend registered at Thomas Cook and got gc!!

    ReplyDelete