Friday, March 19, 2010

Venturing to the Mainland

This past weekend I ventured home to start the wedding plans. Well, if I'm being completely honest start isn't the right word, continue is. Ian decided to come with me so that we could scope out potential venues, when all was said and done we were both pleased that he decided to come.

We arrived fairly early on Friday having caught the 4pm ferry and I arrived at my front door to find my parents not home. So I called my mother's cell phone and discovered they had decided to eat dinner at one of the local pubs. Dropping me off there Ian then continued on to his parents house. I walked in and saw my parents and lots of hugs and demands to see my ring followed.

Almost immediately the conversation moved to the wedding plans. Having already shared many of my thoughts with my mom there wasn't a whole lot of new news to share but my dad was eager to hear what was being discussed.

Later that night armed with bridal magazines my mom and I started to peruse. We didn't want to go to deep into them because we knew that in the morning my sister would be arriving and would be very upset if we looked at everything without her.

The next morning once my sister had ditched her older children and arrived with the baby in tow (who has started walking I might add) we dived into the magazines. This next section was written that evening:


This weekend is the first visit home since Ian proposed. I've been excited about this ever since Ian proposed. So armed with bridal magazines I went sat down with my mom and sis ready to be wowed by what they had to offer. I have to say that I was kind of disappointed. I remember when we were looking for Kathy's wedding the dresses in these magazines were spectacular... Not so much. I only saw one dress that made me sit back and go... wow. Now that's a dress.

Kathy had to go to a friends baby shower so she left and then Ian picked me up to scope venues in the afternoon. We looked at three possibles not being wowed by any of them. One of them we deemed a "Solid Backup" should the need arise. We both decided that we should keep looking though. Since our "vision" for the wedding is rather unique we have almost ruled out many of the golf course type venues. We have found that they tend to be fairly rigid with their ideas of what a wedding should look like and their ideas are not really us. I have full faith in my fiance to find something spectacular though. I've known Ian for nearly 8 years and one of the things I have learned is that when he sets his mind to something he makes it happen. It's one of things I love most about him.

That evening I was really lucky to get a visit from two of my bridesmaids so we could talk more ideas and "fun girly stuff". We had a great great time and I was very reassured that everyone involved seemed to be on the same page regarding the little details. What I mean by this is none of the serious has ideas has been met with any serious rejections. The girls seem to happy with the same types of dresses that I am liking and are very excited about wearing purple. YAY!

Sunday (today) was another visit with my sister and a trip to Michael's for inspiration on center pieces, which was very successful indeed. It was also the first time visiting with the children since becoming engaged. My sister being really cheeky decided to keep the kids in suspense about their roles in the wedding. The poor little ones didn't even know if they were invited. I decided it was more than time to set the record straight. I knew that my niece Anastasia was dying to be my flower girl and I wanted nothing more for her to have the job. So, after walking in their door and getting settled I called Stasia over and told her that I needed to ask her something. Looking very excited she popped onto my lap. I said that I needed someone to be my flower girl and she let out a squeal. It made my day. It felt so wonderful to see her so excited. We then proceeded to discuss her dress, her hair, what she would be invited to and many other details. Being the type of little girl that she is she was FULL of questions. My little nephew asked if he could be the ring bearer and my sister and I told him that we defiantly wanted him and his older brother to be in the wedding, but since there were 4 little boys that we wanted to be involved we weren't sure what job he would be doing. We made sure to re-assure him many times that he would indeed have a VERY important job in the wedding.

So, all in all it was a very productive and very satisfying weekend. Now all I have to do is make it through finals so I can really sink my teeth into the planning phase.

No comments:

Post a Comment