Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Proposal

As always there are two sides to this story. This is the bride to be's attempt at both.

Month's ago Ian had suggested that we go away for our Anniversary at the end of February or beginning of March. I always love a good vacation so I jumped on that band wagon pretty quick. Ian is the master of vacation planning and asked if I wouldn't mind leaving the plans to him. Since he hasn't let me down yet in that department I said yes without questions.

Fast-forward 1 month (ish) at dinner one night Ian came out and said, "please don't get your hopes up I am not going to be proposing when we got away for our anniversary." (liar)

Fast-forward another month during which Ian was working MANY hours on the Olympics.

We're packing to leave and Ian has told me that I need to bring something that is:
  1. Elegant
  2. Warm enough for a walk on the beach
I dig out old faithful (my favourite little black dress) but realize that I have no shoes that work that will make it through a walk on the beach. So off I run to Payless for a cheap pair of black kitten heels.

Just as we are trying to leave Ian starts to fuss over which suit to bring with us. He tries on every one he owns and finally settles on one with a little help from me. Meanwhile I'm thinking this is a bit strange because Ian never fusses. I write it off as not wanting to be uncomfortable and move on.

After a long drive complete with an overnight stop over in Port Alberni (to save on cash) we arrive in Tofino (generally our destination of choice for romantic getaways). We check into our room and I see a big BIG bathtub and within 20 minutes I was soaking happily watching a movie on w network.

Ian comes in and asks the question, "pedicure or massage?" I of course choose the massage... duh! So he then whisked me off to the Ancient Cedar Spa where I was treated to a blissful hour and a half. The treatment including a relaxing foot bath, 1/2 hour body massage and 20 minute steam and to top it off shower with all of the good spa products.

At this point Ian picked me up and we went back to our hotel to grab a quick bite and a bit of a rest before dinner. Ian had to me that he wanted to go for a walk on the beach before dinner, so we dressed pretty early and headed off towards The Point Restaurant.

Ian then took me down to the beach


and after a few slightly awkward moments


he said:

"Here how this is going to go, you stand there like that and I'm going to do this,"



The moment that changed my life forever.

After this, Ian said,

"Now we have to go and meet Chris who is the photographer I hired to capture all of this. (Hence the pics). So at this point we had an impromptu (or at least to me) photo session. During which I learned that he had been planning this since November and had already asked for my parents blessing. Also, my spa session that afternoon had been to get me out of the way so he could meet with Chris and discuss plans. Such the romantic.

Ian does have a running journal of the planning process which I will post in the next couple of days. Until then, a few of the photos that we had taken for your viewing pleasure. For those who are wondering pictures of the custom ring Ian had designed for me will be posted in the not to distant future.







3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you stood in the ocean in new shoes! Seriously though, so happy for you both & congratulations again! Can't wait to see the ring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, that photo of you is absolutely GORGEOUS! PS.. I'm desperatly waiting to see the ring pictures! In amongst our chatting I completly forgot to ask! And of course that's the most important thing.. well other then getting to marry the man of your dreams of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the updates Jen, this is so very exciting. can't wait to help you plan this chapter of your life : )

    ReplyDelete